Phonics and Reading
Read Write Inc Phonics
At East Crompton St George’s C of E Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme. The scheme is based on good pace, repetition of previous learning and high quality teaching. The aim of the programme is to create fluent, enthusiastic readers and willing writers.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- learn how to blend sounds.
- learn to read words using Fred Talk.
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out.
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by using Fred Fingers.
- write simple sentences.